June 13, 2011

thai sty

I have been in Thailand for four days and it already feels like home.  It's amazes me how quickly everything seems so familar.  When we arrived on day one I never would have thought that I would know how to go to 7/11 and purchase a snack or known how to wave down a "tuk tuk" driver and know how many baht would be a reasonable price! 

The culture in Bangkok is something that will be difficult to fully get used to, but I believe we are all learning at a reasonable pace.  After arriving in Bangkok, we sat down with leaders, Ann and Eric, to learn about the rules of Thai culture.  Often refered to as Thai Sty.  Things are very different (not weird) in Thailand, so in order to help you better understand, here is a list.  A list of rules, if you will, to serve as ones guide when in Thailand.  Here we go:

1. Do not flush toilet paper down the toilet. 
I know... it seems a little gross to us, but in Thailand, people don't even use toilet paper.  They have spray hoses. Real life.  If you would prefer American Sty... carry tissues with you.

2. Watch where you're going.
Most places in Bangkok are very safe.  There are low crime rates and people are typically nice, however; transportation is where it gets challenging.  Most Thais don't drive a car.  They travel by bus, sky train, or foot.  Here is the tricky part: when walking, you will never have the right of way.  One must always, always, always look both left... and right before crossing any sort of street.  Traffic is moving at very high speeds in one direction and then motocycles are moving at an even faster pace in the other.  That's right, motocycles drive against traffic. Also, Ann informed us that if a vehicle flashes their lights at us... it doesn't mean "go ahead," it means "I am about to hit you."  Words of wisdom.

3. Just don't touch.
In Thai culture, a person's head is seen as being the best part of their body.  It is almost sacred.  Touching someone's head is not something you want to do.  It is seen as very offensive and disrespectful and will probably make for a few seconds of awkward silence.  Now, if the head is seen as the best part of the body, what do you think is the worst?  That's right! The feet.  It is very rude to point with you feet, touch your feet, draw attention to you feet, pick something up with your feet, touch your feet to someone else's feet... yeah, just don't do anything, but walk with your feet.  Yes, this is the culture, but I have been blessed wtih some really kind Thai friends that know we're not from Thailand.  We are expected to follow these rules, but they do give us a little slack. 

4. Respect the Royal Family.
The King and Queen of Thailand are adored by their country.  The King is on every baht (I think) and his picture can be found all throughout the city.  He and his family means to much to the Thai people!  This means that we must be very careful not to speak about the royal family because our comments, though not intending to be rude, may come off as, well... rude.  I just don't bring it up and if I drop a coin, I DO NOT stop it with my foot.  I could actually be arrested.

5. 'Y'ing is best.
When greeting someone it is important to "Y" them.  This includes putting your hands together, as if you were praying, hold by your bottom lip, and nod your head.  This is a greating, a thank-you, a goodbye... I think. haha It really works for everything.  It is also good to add a little Thai language along with it if you're feeling confident.  Also, a rule that I think goes along with this one is to put say the letter 'P' before the name of anyone older than you.  For example: P'Leck and P'Pom.

Things are really going well.  I enjoy my team and the work that we are doing.  It is still the beginning and we haven't done much enlish teaching quite yet, but we are building relationships with Thai students in the area.  We were able to go to Ayutthaya and see the Floating Market.  It was a great fun and I made a lot of new friends!

How you can pray:
1. Pray for my Thai friends that are Buddist.  They all know the stories of Jesus and some believe they are true, but they don't all believe that Jesus is the only Way, the Truth, and the Life.  Pray that God will work in their lives.  Pray that they will listen and then follow. 
2. Pray for the missionaries here in Bangkok we are working with and for my team from Arkansas.  Pray that we will be spending time with the Lord and applying the scripture to our lives.  Pray that we will rest at night to have energy to make it through the day. 


View from porch in hotel room.


Precious new friends: Tik, Jay, and Nan


Umbrellas are a must.  "Oh no... I think my skin got darker"


Yuuuuuum!


I love this woman!  She is the sweetest.

Riding elephants!

Sommer, Matt, Daniel, and Amy... looking good.

Ham Bone

Love

Ancient city

Beautiful!

"Sawa dii kah" Manchester United


Matching hats!  (p.s. mine is not... it has flowers)

I hope you feel updated.  Love you, friends.
leigha



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful news and update, Leigha! Praying for you and your team~ May the Lord bless you and keep you, and give you grace, peace and power in the name of His son, Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates, Leigha. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, @ first I thought you were seriously standing by Man U players!

    I liked this post, thanks for sharing, hope the rest of your trip is amazing.

    P.S. This is great... "Ann informed us that if a vehicle flashes their lights at us... it doesn't mean "go ahead," it means "I am about to hit you." Words of wisdom."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigha! I am so excited for you and so stoked to hear about what all God will do through you this summer! I am so glad we are on the same side of the world. :) I feel confident that you are going to have to be dragged back to Arkadoo in a couple of months! thanks for the awesome update. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete